What Is Liver And What Functions It Performs?
The liver is one of the most vital organs in the human body. It is one of the largest and busiest organs continuously performing various metabolic processes. It is positioned in the right abdominal area, on the top of the stomach just below the diaphragm. Following are the various functions performed by the liver:
- Maintains the glucose level in the blood
- Synthesizes bile that assists in the digestion
- Helps to regulate the process of blood clotting
- Produces various proteins required in blood plasma
- Take part in the immune system and helps killing pathogens
- Convert ammonia, a harmful substance, to urea.
- Stores iron which is required for producing hemoglobin
- Metabolizes drugs and various other substances
- Get rid of bilirubin
How Lifestyle Affects The Liver?
Sedentary and unhealthy lifestyle affects the overall health of the body. It affects the functioning of the vital organ including the liver, brain, heart, bones, and muscles. The number of studies has concluded that there is a negative effect on the working of the liver due to an unorganized and unhealthy lifestyle.
Various factors related to lifestyle that may affect liver health are:
Excessive alcohol drinking: The liver is the organ that neutralizes the harmful effect of alcohol. It can tolerate a normal amount of alcohol, however, drinking excess alcohol causes the liver to go out of order.
Smoking: Smoking results in the initiation of inflammatory reactions in the body causing injury and death of liver cells. Smoking too much for a prolonged period reduces the efficiency of the liver.
Leading sedentary life: Exercise infuses new life in the body cells including liver cells. Leading a sedentary life makes you lethargic and obese.
Drinking too many carbonated drinks: Drinking carbonated drinks or fizzy drinks in excess has a negative impact on liver cells. Such people have a marked reduction in liver functioning.
Unhealthy diet: Diet has an important role to play in liver health. Eating a diet rich in sugar, refined carbohydrates, and saturated fat causes liver swelling.
Obesity: Obese people are at more risk of developing various liver diseases as compared to non-obese people. In some cases, the condition is progressive and may lead to serious complications.
What Are The Various Liver Diseases Caused Due To Faulty Lifestyle?
Faulty lifestyle increases the risk of various liver diseases such as:
- Fatty liver disease
- Alcoholic hepatitis
- Liver failure
- Liver cirrhosis
- Metabolic syndrome
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
- Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C
What Are The Preparations Done Before The Liver Transplant Surgery?
In the case of liver failure and the inability of other treatment options to revive the liver, liver transplant surgery is recommended. Liver transplantation in India is done through advanced technology, with a high success rate, and at an affordable price as compared to developed countries. Comprehensive health analysis is done through serious blood and imaging tests. The compatibility between the recipient and donor is also analyzed.
How To Take Care After Liver Transplant Surgery?
Following are the measures to be followed after transplant surgery:
- Take medicine strictly as per schedule.
- Stay away from meeting people especially those suffering from contagious disease.
- Eat a healthy diet
- Follow the instructions of your healthcare provider
- Regularly have follow-up visits to evaluate the performance of new liver
- Perform regular exercise under the guidance of your doctor