Liver is the largest organ in the human body. A routine blood test can help identify liver cirrhosis. Symptoms may not show in the early stage, however, in the advanced stages, Liver cirrhosis causes liver failure and scar tissue in the liver. The waiting list for a liver transplant in India is usually long, as it mostly depends on the availability of the liver from a person who has just died.
What are the tests required after the diagnosis of liver cirrhosis?
Your doctor may require you to take one or more of the following tests to analyse your condition:
- Laboratory Tests – Blood test helps the doctor identify the level of the cirrhosis and also the presence of Hepatitis. It also helps check for excessive bilirubin or certain enzymes that may cause damage to the liver. Kidney function is also assessed by checking the creatinine levels.
- Imaging tests – MRI, CT Scan and Ultrasound helps the doctor know the effects of liver failure
- Biopsy – Helps identify the cause, extent and severity of liver damage
Regular diagnostic tests are recommended by the doctor, especially for patients with liver failure.
Treatment of underlying causes of cirrhosis
The underlying cause of liver damage needs to be addressed for the treatment of liver cirrhosis. early detection of cirrhosis may reduce further damage to the liver.
- Hepatitis medicines limit further damage that may be caused by Hepatitis B or C.
- Weight loss – Managing blood sugar levels and losing weight, may help people with non alcoholic fatty liver disease
- Alcoholic liver damage – Stopping the consumption of alcohol is advised for people with alcoholic cirrhosis. Alcohol deaddiction programmes, may be recommended for the same.
- Nutritional supplements and medications to relieve pain, fatigue, itching may also be prescribed by the doctor
How to take care of yourself after a liver transplant surgery
Medications, regular check-ups, adequate nutrition, exercise and following hygiene standards in your surroundings help with the recovery. The support of the family members is of vital importance.
All medications are vital, the body adjusts to the new liver and within a few months, one can get back to their normal activities like travelling for work, socializing, exercising, playing any sport etc. if all precautions and medications are taken after the liver transplant surgery.
Best hospitals for a liver transplant surgery in Delhi. Our team of experts include the best liver surgeons in Delhi, India. To know more or to book an appointment, Call (+91)- 9650915455