What Are The Main Causes Of Liver Failure?
The liver is one of the most vital organs. It performs various essential functions. Liver failure is a serious disease that may result in death. Many liver diseases progress to cause liver failure. Following are some of the main causes of liver failure:
Liver cirrhosis: Prolonged and repeated liver disease results in scarring of the liver. Scar tissues replace the healthy functional tissues of the liver. This condition is known as liver cirrhosis. Liver cirrhosis may lead to liver failure.
Viral infection: Viral infections such as hepatitis B may cause liver failure.
Drugs: Excessive use and the high dose of certain drugs such as paracetamol, hormones, antibiotics, and antifungal drugs may cause liver failure.
Diseases: Various underlying diseases such as Wilson’s disease or autoimmune disease may cause liver failure.
What Are The Complications Associated With Liver Transplant Surgery?
A liver transplant is major surgery. The patient should opt for a Best liver transplant surgeon in India for liver transplant surgery. Following are the complications associated with Liver transplant surgery:
- Vascular graft rejection
- Neurological disorders such as seizures or confusion
- Arterial and venous thrombosis and stenosis
- Fluid collections
- Biliary disorders
- Failure of the transplanted liver
- Bile leakage
- Gastrointestinal, abdominal, and biliary bleeding
- Infection and sepsis
When A Patient Is Not Eligible For Liver Transplant?
Before a liver transplant surgery, the doctor performs a comprehensive health evaluation. Not all patients who have liver failure are eligible to undergo liver transplant surgery. Further, a high MLD score does not automatically list the patient on the waiting list for a liver transplant. The patient should be adequately healthy to withstand the physical and mental pressure caused before, during, and after liver transplant surgery.
What Are The Various Sun Safety Tips For Liver Transplant Patients?
Patients undergoing organ transplantation have an increased risk of liver cancer. The risk of skin cancer is irrespective of their skin color. Following are some of the tips that may reduce the risk of skin cancer:
- Minimize exposure to the sun especially during the afternoon.
- If going outside is necessary, wear protective clothing such as a hat, sunglasses, full sleeves shirts, and full pants.
- Do not forget to apply sunscreen before moving outside in sun.
- Avoid using tanning booths.
- Periodically monitor your skin for any change in skin color or texture.
How The Medications Can Be Managed During Vacation?
Medications play an important role in successful liver transplantation. You should take extra care regarding medications during your vacations. Medications can be managed during a vacation through:
- Prioritizing medications in the packing list.
- Not forgetting to refill the medications if the dose wonâ€™t last during vacations.
- Set alarm or SMS alert messages to remind you of medications.
- Store the medications properly during vacations.
What Precautions Liver Transplant Patients Should Take During Dentist Visit?
Patients with liver transplants should take extra care during a dentist visit. Further, proper dental hygiene is also required to reduce the risk of infection in already immunocompromised patients. American Heart Association and the American Medical Association recommends avoiding any dental cleaning within 6 months of liver transplant surgery. Although recommended for heart and lung transplant patients, antibiotics prior to a dental appointment in patients with liver and kidney transplants are not required. However, antibiotics may be required in some dental conditions.