HOD & Senior Surgeon – Liver Transplantation And Hepato-Pancraetic Biliary Surgery
Best Liver Transplant Surgeon In India
Dr. Shailendra Lalwani did his Basic medical education at Sawai Man Singh Medical College, Jaipur and then his post-graduation studies at Jawahar Lal Nehru Medical College in Ajmer, Rajasthan. He joined as Diplomate National Board of Examinations (DNB) Surgical Gastroenterology in Department of Surgical Gastroenterology & Liver Transplantation at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi. He got the training in deceased donor liver transplant and HPB surgery in King’s College Hospital, London (UK).
He has more than 14 years of surgical experience. He has experience of more than 1000 successful Liver Transplant Surgeries. His area of expertise are deceased and living donor, adult and paediatric, swap, combined liver-kidney and domino liver transplantation. He was part of the team who has successfully performed rare Liver Transplant procedures like combined liver and kidney transplant, dual lobe liver transplant (Liver retrieved from 2 liver donors), Living donor liver transplant in smallest child in India weighing 4.5 kg, Re-transplant in a child, Living Donor Liver Transplant in Indian Juvenile childhood cirrhosis, Living Donor Liver Transplant in HIV patient, Living Donor Liver Transplant in Hemiparetic child, Living Donor Liver Transplant in Pregnant women with acute liver failure, Living Donor Liver Transplant with donor who had Situs InversusTotalis, Living Donor Liver Transplant in an Autistic Child, World’s first successful simultaneous Living Donor Liver Transplant with Open Heart Surgery in a Child to name a few. He has worked on performing cosmetic donor surgery, Small Incision Donor Hepatectomy (SIDH)) and hand assisted laparoscopic donor hepatectomy (HALDH)).
He has experience around 10000 complex hepatobiliary pancreatic and GI surgical procedures (Open, Laparoscopic and robotic surgery). The procedures are Liver resection, esophagectomies, gastro-duodenal surgeries, small bowel surgeries, colonic surgeries, rectal and anal canal surgeries, shunt procedures for portal hypertension, surgeries for bile duct, gall bladder cancer, biliary strictures and fistula, pancreaticoduodenectomy, GI bleed, and complex fistulas.
He is expert in performing all gastrointestinal surgeries, liver resections, pancreatic resections and biliary surgeries by open, laparoscopic and by robotic techniques as per the indications.
He has several National and International publications to his name. He was a recognized Postgraduate DNB (G.I. Surgery) teacher and guide for students. He has been the Editorial board member of different journals like Archives of Organ Transplantation, Journal of Biological Research (Hong Kong), SM Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology, Journal of Gastroenterology, Liver & Pancreatic disease and Surgery.
- MS (Gen. Surgery)
- DNB (Surgical Gastroenterology)
- FMAS-Fellowship in Laparoscopic Surgery
- DMAS-Diploma in Laparoscopic Surgery
- Fellowship in Robotic surgery
- Fellowship-Liver Transplant & HPB Surgery (King’s College Hospital, London)
Fellowships and Memberships
- FALS – Fellowship Advanced Laparoscopic Hepatobiliary & Pancreatic Surgery
- FMAS – Fellowship Minimal Access Surgery
- FICRS – Fellowship Robotic Surgery-International College of Robotic Surgeons
- FACRSI – Fellowship of Association of Colorectal Surgeons of India
- FAIS – Fellowship o associations of surgeons of India
- FIAGES – Fellowship of Indian Assoication of Gastrointestinal Endosurgeons
- MNAMS – Member National Academy of Medical Sciences
- Member – Liver Transplant Society of India
- Life Member – Indian Society of Organ Transplant
- Member – World Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons
- Member – Association of Surgeons of India
- Member – Indian Association of Surgical Gastroenterology
- Member – Association of Colorectal Surgeons of India
- Member – Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endo surgeons
Fortis Hospital, NOIDA
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, Delhi
Awards and Achievements
- Travel Bursery Award for IASG 2009
- Best Poster Award – IASG 2014
- Travelling fellowship Award ACRSI 2017
- He has several National and International publications to his name in indexed journals
- He is a recognized Postgraduate DNB (G.I. Surgery) teacher and guide for students.
- He has been the Editorial board member of different journals like Surgery, Archives of Organ Transplantation, Journal of Biological Research (Hong Kong), SM Journal of Gastroenterology &Hepatology, Journal of Gastroenterology, Liver& Pancreatic disease.
Total Work Experience
Area of Expertise
- Liver Transplant (Deceased donor and Living Donor)
- Paediatric Liver Transplant
- Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic (HPB) Surgery
- Advance Laparoscopic and Robotic Gastrointestinal (Upper GI, Colorectal & Hepatobiliary) Surgeries
- Minimally invasive Hepatobiliary and Colorectal surgery
- Gastrointestinal (GI) and heparobiliaryoncosurgery (cancer surgery)
- Portal hypertension Surgery
- Lalwani S, Varma V, Mehta N, Kumaran V, Nundy S. Small bowel stricture following blunt abdominal trauma.TropicalGastroentero. 2011;32 (4):304-308.
- Lalwani S, Govindasamy M, Gupta M, Siraj F, Varma V, Mehta N, Kumaran V, Mohan N, Chopra P, Arora A, Agarwal S, Soin A, Nundy S. Gastrointestinal mucormycosis-four cases with different risk factors, involving different anatomical sites. Indian J Gastroenterol. 2012 Jun;31(3):139-43.
- Gupta M, Lalwani S et al. Severe Acute Necrotizing Pancreatitis Complicated by Colonic Fistulae. The Ganga Ram Journal 2011;1:3–7.
- Chattopadhyay S, Lalwani S, Mehta N, Varma V, Kumaran V, Nundy S. Hydatid cyst-colonic fistula: endogenic with ectogenicvesiculation. Tropical Gastroenterology 2012;33 (3):221–222.
- Lalwani S, Pankaj R. N, Mehrotra S, Mangla V, Nundy S, Mehta N, Pediatric liver transplant- Review –Current medical research and practice 2014:4(5):206–213
- Lalwani S, Varma V, Kumaran V, Mehta N, Nundy S. ‘Complex Rectovaginal Fistula – an Experience at a Tertiary Care Centre’ Doi.10.1007/s1226-2015-1218-7
- Bhoy T, Chaudhary N, Mangla V, Radhakrishnan N, Sachdeva A, Lalwani S, Nundy S, Mehta NN. Management of Hepatoblastoma: Team work’s the key! The Ganga Ram Journal 2013;3:273-276.
- TejalBhoy, ShailendraLalwani, Jitendra Mistry, Vibha Varma, Vinay Kumaran, SamiranNundy, Naimish Mehta. Primary hepatic gastrointestinal stromal tumor.Trop Gastroenterol.2014;35(4):252-253
- Bansal RK, Ranjan P, Mehta N, Lalwani S, Kumaran V, Sachdeva MK, Komar M, Nundy S. Endoscopic Management of Post Liver Transplant Biliary Complications: A Prospective Study from Tertiary Centre in India. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hepatology 2014; 4:S61. DOI:10.1016/j.jceh.2014.02.118
- Kagathara H, Lalwani S, Mangla V, Yadav A, Mehta N, Nundy S. Multivisceral resection for colorectal cancers: An analysis of prognostic factors and outcomes. IJSM 2016;2:12–16. doi:10.5455/ijsm.surgery01.
- New scoring system for differentiating xanthogranulomatouscholecystitis from gall bladder carcinoma: a tertiary care centre experience. ANZ Journal of Surgery – September 2016 DOI: 10.1111/ans.13733
- Solid Pseudo-Papillary Neoplasm of Pancreas: An Unusual Presentation and Management. JOP: Journal of the pancreas 17(4) – August 2016
- Asymptomatic splenic artery aneurysm. Current Medicine research & Practice. May 2016. Current Medicine Research and Practice, Vol. 6, Issue 3, p136–137
- Can laparoscopic cholecystectomy prevent recurrent idiopathic acute pancreatitis? Current Medicine Research and Practice, Vol. 6, Issue 1, p37–39.
- Mangla V, Lalwani S, Mehrotra S, Mehta N, Nundy S. Liver parenchymal transection techniques. Bhutan Health Journal 2016 May;2:30-36
- Jha SK, Mangla V, Lalwani S, Mehrotra S, Radhakrishnan N, Agarwal S, Sachdeva A, Nundy S, Mehta N. Solid pseudo papillary neoplasm of pancreas; an unusal presentation and management JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2016 Jul 08; 17(4):440-443.
- Mangla V, Lalwani S, Sharma A, Bhalla S, Nundy S, Mehta N. Successful living donor liver transplantation with partial nephrectomy for co-existing renal cell carcinoma and cirrhosis. Tropical Gastroenterology 2016 Jun 15;36(4):270-3.
- Mangla V, TAnila, Lalwani S, Mehta N, NundyS . Clinical Features and Outcomes in Patients With Ulcerative Colitis and Cancer: A Single Centre Experience. Gastroenterology April 2016:150(4);1261-1262.
- Rajaguru, K., Mehrotra, S., Lalwani, S., Mangla, V., Mehta, N. and Nundy, S. (2016), New scoring system for differentiating xanthogranulomatouscholecystitis from gall bladder carcinoma: a tertiary care centre experience. ANZ Journal of Surgery. doi:10.1111/ans.13733
- Ray S, Mehta N, Lalwani S, Mangla V, Mehrotra S, Nundy S. Management of corrosive oesophageal injuries:a review. Bhutan Health Journal 2016 Nov;2:23-31.
- Mehta N, Mangla V, Varma V, Lalwani S, Mehrotra, Nundy S .Minimizing Hepatic Artery Thrombosis and Establishing Safety of Grafts With Dual Arteries in Living Donor Liver Transplantation.Transplant Proc.2018;50:1378-85.
- Nagar A, Mehrotra S, Yadav A, Mangla V, Lalwani S, Mehta N, Nundy S .Distal Bowel Re-feeding in Patients with Proximal Jejunostomy.J Gastrointest Surg. 2018 .doi: 10.1007/s11605-018-3752-7
- Mehrotra S, Mehta N, Rao PS, Lalwani S, Mangla V, NundyS.Live donor liver transplantation for acute liver failure: A single centerexperience.Indian J Gastroenterol.2018;37:25-30
- Sapra RL, Mehrotra S, Lalwani S, Mangla V, Mehta N, Nundy S. Predicting mortality following gastrointestinal surgery . Current Medicine Research and Practice.2017;8:8-12
- Ray S, Mehta NN, Mehrotra S, Lalwani S, Mangla V, Yadav A, Nundy S. Effect of informed consent on patients undergoing gastrointestinal surgery and living donor liver transplantation and on their relatives in a developing country. BJS Open.2018;2:34-9.
- Golhar A, Mangla V, Mehrotra S, Lalwani S, Mehta N, Nundy S. Limited distal duodenal resection: Surgical approach and outcomes. A case series. Annals of Medicine and Surgery. 2018;30:36-41.
- Ray S, Mehta NN, Mangla V, Lalwani S, Mehrotra S, Chugh P, Yadav A, Nundy S. A Comparison between the Comprehensive Complication Index and the Clavien-Dindo Grading as a Measure of Postoperative Outcome in Patients Undergoing Gastrointestinal Surgery. A Prospective Study. July 2019. Journal of Surgical Research 244:417-424. DOI: 10.1016/j.jss.2019.06.093
- Singh S, Lalwani S, Sud S, Arora A, Nundy S. Early reversal of portal biliopathy in a young girl with extrahepatic portal venous obstruction. Current Medicine Research and Practice. 2019 Jul 17
- Mehrotra S, Lalwani S, Nundy S. Management Strategies for Patients with Hilar Cholangiocarcinomas: Challenges and Solutions.Hepat Med. 2020 Jan 23;12:1-13. doi: 10.2147/HMER.S223022..
Books and chapters
- Book chapter- Pancreatic cancer-Pancreas
- Book chapter- Residents manual 2009
- Book Chapter- Lay books on GERD
- Book Chapter- Lay books on Gallstone
Best Liver Transplant Surgeon in India | Top Liver Transplant Surgeon in India